Backup and Restore For Peace of Mind
You aren’t likely to forget about your regularly scheduled car maintenance or your annual physical checkup. Along with these things-to-do, you should have a regular schedule for backing up your computer files in order to protect all your important information. Putting off a backup for too long may spell disaster when an unforeseen complication hits.
Novastor backup software makes backing up your computer a fairly uncomplicated process and puts you on course to getting peace of mind.
Starting Your Backup
Be proactive and understand key steps in order to keep your important data safe and secure so you can have peace of mind. Start your backup with the following steps.
- Click the computer’s Start button
- Click Control Panel
- Click System and Maintenance
- Click Backup and Restore Center
- Click Backup Files
Where to Save Your Files
Once you’ve started your backup, the next step is to find a safe place in which to backup your files. You can choose from several options for your important files.
- DVD or CD – Disks are preferable because they are inexpensive and easy to carry with you, but you won’t get as much storage space out of a CD or DVD as you would another method. If you do choose disks, make sure you are checking on your computer regularly during the backup to see if a new disk is needed.
- Hard Disk – Hard disks may be installed on your computer or come in the form of an external hard drive that is plugged into your computer through a USB port. Hard disks may be pricier than CDs or DVDs, but you’ll also have more space for your files.
- Network Location – You can also save all of your files to a Public folder on your home or corporate network.
Once you’ve chosen where to save your files, choose that option from the list in your wizard and click NEXT.
Determine what You Should Save
It may not be necessary to save every file on your computer, but you may want to go through your list and ensure that you have all your important files. Simply check the box by each important file. Your options may include:
- TV shows
- Compressed files
Prioritize the most important files while considering how much space you have on your chosen method of storage. Once you’ve selected all important files to be saved, click NEXT.
Schedule Your Next Backup
Finally, you’re ready to complete your backup by setting a schedule for your next backup. Once a month is a good guideline for a home computer, while a work computer may need to be backed up more often. Schedule your next backup and click Save settings and start backup.
Your first backup will back up everything you’ve specified. Any backups after your first will only include changes made since the previous backup.
If you ever lose an important file on the computer, you can restore the file after it’s been backed up. Simply complete the following steps:
- Enter the Backup and Restore Center
- Click Restore Files
- Choose the last backup date
- Add all folders and files that must be restored
- Decide where to save them
- Click Start restore
It really is as simple as it seems. Backing up your files automatically can save you a lot of time and effort, along with guaranteeing that you can sleep better at night.